Marietta plays a vital role for ensuring vaccines get to where they need to go
Our site in Marietta has been helping to protect people from serious disease for well over 100 years, with a dedication to smallpox vaccine production since 1882.
The site of our current vaccines facility has been owned by several other companies throughout the years but started as Lancaster County Vaccine Farms in 1882 by Dr. H.M. Alexander, whose passion for eradicating infectious disease is still embraced by GSK today. By 1894 his farm was the largest producer of the smallpox vaccine in the nation – using dried calf lymph from live cows.
Important early advancements in vaccine production and administration were made here in Lancaster County, such as an effective bifurcated needle syringe and serum freeze-drying method. During the following century, under ownership by other companies throughout the years, the Marietta site went on to become a major supplier of diphtheria, polio, tetanus and rabies vaccines, as well as snakebite anti-venom. Today, manufacturing at the Marietta location, which GSK purchased in 2010, is helping GSK deliver over 833 million doses of vaccines around the world and this site serves as the central packaging and finishing site for all of our vaccines in the US.